Explosion at Amsterdam Jewish school ‘a deliberate attack’ says mayor

An explosion at a Jewish school in Amsterdam was a “deliberate attack against the Jewish community”, the mayor of the Dutch capital has said.

Femke Halsema said the overnight blast caused limited damage to the outer wall of the school in the Buitenveldert district. No injuries were reported.

“This is a cowardly act of aggression towards the Jewish community,” the mayor said, adding that Amsterdam “must be a place where Jews can live safely”. Prime Minister Rob Jetten said “there must be no place for antisemitism” in the Netherlands.

Security had already been stepped up at Jewish institutions after a suspected arson attack on a synagogue in Rotterdam on Friday.

Firefighters and police were quickly deployed to the scene after the explosion at the school.

Read more: BBC News