Southport mass shooting suspect declared incapable of standing trial

The suspect in a shooting at a Southport waterfront restaurant that left three people dead last fall was found not capable of standing trial Tuesday, court records show.

According to the Southport Police Department, 41-year-old Nigel Max Edge of Oak Island was identified as the suspect in the mass shooting at the American Fish Company on 150 Yacht Basin Drive around 9:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 27.

Police said Edge is accused of opening fire on the dockside restaurant in a small motorboat, killing 36-year-old Solomon Banjo of Virginia, 56-year-old Michael Durbin of Ohio, and 64-year-old Joy Rodgers of Southport. At least seven more people were hurt, according to court records.

Edge’s case had been scheduled for a Brunswick County court hearing in which the local prosecutor was slated to reveal whether he intended to seek the death penalty.

But District Attorney Jon David said in a news release that part of the case was set aside because questions about Edge’s “capacity to proceed” were raised by multiple mental health professionals.

Read more: WNCN