Initial Australian inquiry into Bondi Beach shooting calls for counter-terrorism reforms

An interim report into last year’s Bondi Beach mass shooting on Thursday advised increased security around Jewish public events and further gun reforms among 14 ​initial recommendations, but found Australia’s legal and regulatory frameworks did not hinder security ‌agencies in preventing or responding to the attack.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said his government would adopt all the initial recommendations made by the Royal Commission, the nation’s most powerful inquiry, into the December 14 shooting at ​a Jewish Hanukkah celebration at Sydney’s Bondi Beach, which left 15 dead.

While the ​report did not propose urgent changes, it outlined recommendations to strengthen Australia’s ⁠counter-terrorism capabilities, Albanese told reporters.

“This is as the government envisaged – that the first task ​of the Royal Commission, the priority, was to look at the security elements of these ​issues,” he said.

Five of the recommendations remain classified due to sensitive national security concerns, Albanese added.

Read more: Reuters